Green surrounded by cork oaks at Real Club Valderrama
Real Club Valderrama
Sotogrande Alto, Costa de
la Luz, Spain
Real Club Valderrama is a 6400 metres
(7000 yards) par 72 with no hole of less than championship quality but
it can be fully enjoyed by players of all handicaps thanks to Robert Trent
Jones Sr, who designed the course in 1974. At Jaime Ortiz-Patiños
urging he came back to redesign it with additional land when the new Club
was formed in 1985. Thereafter, it took only a few years to win recognition
in the "Golf World" rankings as the number 1 golf course in
mainland Europe, a position held since 1989. Real Club Valderrama is now in the
Top 50 World Rankings.
On the PGA European Tour, Real Club Valderrama hosted the first
nine editions of the year end final Volvo Masters (1988-1996.) It hosted the Ryder Cup
in 1997 and has hosted the first World Golf Championships - American Express
Championship in 1999 and the second in 2000. It also hosted the Andalucia Masters three times (2010, 2011, 2017) and the Spanish Open in 2016.
The amenability of the golf
course to the handicap golfer and its deliberate severity to the championship
player owe much to the extensive range of tees. The tees are differentiated
not just by distance but by careful siting. The fairways are widely considered
the best in Europe, while the greens have been compared by Davis Love
III and many others with Augusta.
Real Club Valderrama has two prevailing
winds: the Poniente from the land, which in summer can be very hot, and
the Levante from the Mediterranean, which brings a cooler sea breeze.
The changed conditions when one is blowing add variety to a golf course
that is already rich in shot values.
Discount Green Fees & Book Tee Times
We offer our clients guaranteed tee times with discount green fees on Real Club Valderrama.
Course type: Private, with limited tee-times for visitors
Practice areas: Driving Range, chipping area & putting green
Total holes: 18 + 9 (Par 3 course)
Buggies, Caddies, Restaurant, Electric trolleys, Trolleys
Pro-shop, Locker rooms & valet parking
Men 24, Ladies 32
“Real Club Valderrama is private member’s club that welcomes visitors at certain times of the day. The Club has strict etiquette rules and a dress code policy. Visitors must follow these rules at all times”
• The use of mobile telephones and cameras is strictly forbidden in all areas of Real Club Valderrama
• Handicap is limited to 24 for Gentleman and 32 for Ladies. Certificate may be requested
• Visitors may only use the driving range 45 minutes before play
• Visitors are allowed to play Real Club Valderrama golf course between 12:00 and 14:00 hours, throughout the week
• A strict 15 minute interval between groups is applied. Flights must be formed by four players. All threesomes, pairs and individual bookings will be reallocated to complete the foursome
• Operations staff will require all groups to maintain adequate Pace of Play
· Visitors may only play twice in a given month or seven times in any one calendar year
• Golf carts are not allowed near the tees or greens. The use of buggies is always subject to golf course conditions
• The dress attire must be in full harmony with the game of golf. The use of Tshirts, jeans, athletic apparel, bathing suits and shorts above knee length is strictly forbidden. The use of golf shoes with soft spikes is also mandatory
• No outside food or drink allowed
• Domestic animals are strictly forbidden on all Club premises
Open for members
and visitors Thursday and Friday night from 20.00h to 22.00h and on Sunday
for buffet 13.00h-15.00h. Dress code: 1 November - 31 May: jacket and
tie; 1 June - 31 October: long sleeved shirt as an alternative to jacket
and tie. Ladies should be smartly dressed.
PGA European Tour Events:
Estrella Damm Andalucía Masters: 02nd to 17th October 2023. Andalucia Masters: 2017 (Winner: Sergio Garcia)
Open de España: 2016 (Winner: Andrew Johnson) Andalucia Masters: 2011 (Winner: Sergio Garcia)
Andalucia Masters: 2010 (Winner: Graeme McDowell)
WCG-American Express Championship: 1999 (Winner: Tiger Woods), 2000 (Winner: Mike Weir)
Ryder Cup: 1997 (first ever held in continental Europe)
Volvo Masters: 1988-1996; 2002-2008
Ladies Spanish Open: 1982
Other Notable Tournaments:
LIV Golf Tournament: 30th June until 02th July 2023.